Mother Hubbard's Cupboard
THE STORY OF THE “CUPBOARD”
Mother Hubbard's Cupboard is a food bank that was originally developed by the Lewistown Ministerium and is currently a ministry of Saint Mark's Episcopal Church. It was established in the aftermath of Hurricane Agnes in 1972. The goal of the program is to provide food items for the residents of Mifflin County without regard to religious affiliation or status.
Mother Hubbard's Cupboard does not receive or benefit from any federal, state, or local governmental funding. It is staffed by community volunteers and depends entirely on area churches, service organizations, and individuals for food and monetary donations. It is only because of these volunteers and donations that over 1000 families of Mifflin County receive assistance with food and personal care items annually. For this, St. Mark's is very grateful.